22-1-308. Public library -- board of trustees.
(1) Upon the establishment of a public library under the provisions of this part, the mayor, with the advice and consent of the city council or city commissioners, shall appoint a board of trustees for the city library and the chairman of the board of county commissioners, with the advice and consent of said board, shall appoint a board of trustees for the county library.
(2) The library board shall consist of five trustees. Not more than one member of the governing body shall be, at any one time, a member of such board.
(3) Trustees shall serve without compensation, but their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties may be paid from library funds.
(4) Trustees shall hold their office for 5 years from the date of appointment and until their successors are appointed. Initially, appointments shall be made for 1-, 2-, 3-, 4-, and 5-year terms. Annually thereafter, there shall be appointed before July 1 of each year in the same manner as the original appointments for a 5-year term, a trustee to take the place of the retiring trustee. Trustees shall serve no more than two full terms in succession.
(5) Following such appointments, in July of each year, the trustees shall meet and elect a chairman and such other officers as they deem necessary, for 1-year terms. Vacancies in the board of trustees shall be filled for the unexpired term in the same manner as original appointments.